Saturday, July 19, 2008

Pantano raves about 'perfect lap'

GP2 Series leader Giorgio Pantano expressed his delight at extending his advantage by scoring two points for pole position at Hockenheim on Friday.

The Italian outpaced his opposition by almost three tenths of a second, and said that changes made by his Racing Engineering team had been key to his dominance.

"We did a good job after free practice," said Pantano. "I had a good feeling in the car and drove a perfect lap. We were even able to save some of the tyres for the race, so that is good too."

His closest rival, Romain Grosjean of ART, admitted: "Giorgio was better than us today. I made a little mistake at the final corner on my first run, and got onto the grass, and the track wasn't so fast for my second run. I was fractions faster, but I needed to find a lot more time to challenge Giorgio."

Third fastest qualifier Andi Zuber has sounded a note of caution after recent performances by Piquet Sports have flattered to deceive after qualifying - especially on the medium compound Bridgestone tyres.

"The car is very difficult to drive," said Zuber. "And after two or three laps, the tyres are finished. We saw it at Silverstone, and we're working hard to solve it. I made a slight mistake in the final corner on my quickest lap, but Giorgio did a very good time - I couldn't do that today."



  • Razov’s perfect strike stuns Quakes
  • Pantano wins to retake series lead
  • D.C.’s snake-bitten ride continues
  • Pantano, Chandhok given all-clear
  • Pantano grabs pole, Valsecchi shunts
  • Dynamo open SuperLiga with rout
  • No comments: