Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Senna: The title fight starts here

Senna: The title fight starts here

Bruno Senna believes his sprint race victory today at Silverstone puts him right back in the title fight with GP2 Series leader Giorgio Pantano.

Although Pantano finished third today, meaning iSport's Senna only closed the gap by two points to 11, Bruno thinks his win can spur him on to greater achievements in the second half of the season and that he can close the gap and scoop the title.

"It's a big gap to Giorgio, but there is still half of the season to go," he told autosport.com. "He hasn’t had much bad luck yet, so maybe there is some to come his way. My car was easy to drive today, despite the conditions.

"I could push when I needed to push, and there was only really a problem when it rained again and there was some aquaplaning on the straights. I knew I had to take it easy there.

"Yesterday, I wasn't consistent enough and we paid the price. The car was on a knife-edge, but today it all went to plan. I got into the lead early on, and the only problem was my radio wasn't working, but I could see my pitboard when I wanted to. When I saw I had a nine-second lead, I knew I didn't have to look at it again."

Senna also explained the strange situation on the last lap of the race, when he slowed on the approach to Becketts behind Yelmer Buurman.

"I was coming up to lap Buurman and there was yellow flags everywhere," he explained. "There was a blue flag for him, so he backed off, but I didn't want to pass him and pick up a silly penalty for passing under yellows.

"So I just sat there and waited until I saw a green flag. I knew I had a big gap to Lucas [di Grassi]."



  • McCarty returns to field with Hoops
  • Buemi leads Arden one-two in sprint
  • FCD’s ‘Bird Man’ starts to take flight
  • Senna, Grosjean rue tech failures
  • Senna proud of Monaco victory
  • No comments: