Friday, September 19, 2008

Chandhok rues grid penalty plunge

Chandhok rues grid penalty plunge

GP2 front-runner Karun Chandhok said he had no choice but to improve his laptime while there were yellow flags being waved at Spa on Friday, or else he would have been forced to start at the back of the grid anyway.

In the final moments of the session, Chandhok set the fastest time despite waved yellows to retrieve Luca Filippi's car from the Pouhon tyre wall.

He was always going to get a 10-place grid penalty for an incident at Valencia two weeks ago, but said setting the pole position time eased that blow.

"The circuit was getting quicker and quicker," said Chandhok. "I knew the track would get drier, so we waited a bit before going out. But after the [mid-session] red flag, people were going off all over the place.

"I was P12 with a 10-place penalty, so I had to do a decent laptime or else I'd be at the back anyway.

"I got it all hooked up and it worked out okay. Pole was the best I could do with a 10-place penalty hanging over me."

Chandhok was called before the stewards to explain his pace under yellow flags, along with Arden's Sebastien Buemi, who should start sixth in tomorrow's race. A decision has yet to be made on any further penalties.

No comments: