Saturday, May 31, 2008

Bakkerud fit after Monaco shunt

Bakkerud fit after Monaco shunt

Christian Bakkerud says he feels no ill effects following his airborne GP2 shunt at Monaco on Sunday.

The Dane missed the second round of the season at Istanbul earlier this year after injuring his back in an accident in the season opener at Barcelona, and also missed five races last season with a disc problem.

He was fortunate not to aggravate his back injury as his Super Nova car landed at Ste Devote on Sunday.

"I can't feel any pain or any other problems from my back so I think I got away lightly this time," he said.

"I don't blame anyone for what happened, it was simply a racing incident. It's very typical of the very tight Monaco street circuit, with 26 cars there's no room for mistakes."

Bakkerud struck the back of Andi Zuber's Piquet Sports car as the field bunched up at the first corner and landed on the run off area on the outside of the track.

"Andi got a fantastic start and had to move across to avoid cars colliding in front of him. I had to lift off to avoid him but this meant I lost grip and couldn't stop in time so my car went up in the air.

"Fortunately I landed one wheel at a time and not with all four at once because that would have a huge impact on your body and back, which in my case would have been disastrous."



  • Real avoid nightmare finish
  • Bakkerud to miss Istanbul race
  • No comments: