Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Grosjean accepts stewards' penalty

Grosjean accepts stewards' penalty

GP2 Asia champion Romain Grosjean has accepted the stewards' decision to give him a drive-through penalty which cost him his maiden win in the main series at Barcelona on Sunday.

Grosjean, who was seven seconds ahead of Kamui Kobayashi before a safety car period negated his lead, overshot the chicane before the restart and compromised his speed onto the straight. This allowed Kobayashi to tow alongside him into Turn 1, but Grosjean swerved across the track and pushed him over the kerbs.

"It was strange, the safety car came out and then went straight back in," said Grosjean. "My tyres went cold, so I made a mistake. I didn't know where Kamui was because you see nothing in the mirrors, so I defended and then moved back onto the clean line. If I'd stayed where I was, I would have locked up and gone off on the dirt there.

"It seems I moved too much back to the left, and I have to accept the decision of the FIA. They are the experts and it's their job to do this. It could have been a great result, but it's racing."



  • Kobayashi inherits sprint race win
  • Parente romps to win on debut
  • No comments: