Monday, May 5, 2008

No animosity between Piquet drivers

No animosity between Piquet drivers

Piquet Sports drivers Andi Zuber and Pastor Maldonado have sat down together and discussed their multiple collisions in Sunday's GP2 Sprint Race at Barcelona which meant both retired with suspension damage.

Zuber was the first to make contact, hitting Maldonado on two occasions at Turn 5, getting ahead in the second instance in their battle for fifth. Following the safety car period, however, Maldonado lunged down the inside of Zuber into Turn 1, and the resulting contact inflicted damage to both cars that put them out.

Maldonado, who was suffering from a gearbox problem at the time, said: "He touched me when he passed me, and then his restart was very bad so I had a big tow. I arrived much quicker than him into Turn 1, but when we got to the middle of the corner we touched.

"It's difficult to say whose fault it was. The big problem is these mirrors - you can't see anything behind you."

Zuber said: "I let Pastor past me earlier, but then he was much slower than me. I tried to pass two or three times and when I made the move stick, which was fair, he turned in me and we touched a bit.

"At the restart, it was completely silly. He was 100 metres behind me and still tried to pass. He broke my rear suspension. He needs to keep cool in the future because we lost three points for the team today."

Team boss Filipe Vargas said he disappointed with the outcome, but added: "There is no animosity between them. The mirrors in these cars are very difficult. We will recover from this and regroup for the next race."



  • Mixed fortunes for Super Nova duo
  • No comments: