Saturday, June 21, 2008

Senna: Crash not intentional

Senna: Crash not intentional

Bruno Senna has clarified his bizarre method of scoring his first-ever GP2 Series pole position by stating that he didn't intentionally throw his car across the start/finish line out of control.

Senna pipped local hero Romain Grosjean by 0.037s with his fastest lap, which ended with him on three wheels after he removed his right-rear against the barrier after losing control.

He actually clipped the barrier with his nosecone as he tank-slapped wildly, dragging the rear of the car into the barrier.

"That wasn't how I intended to finish my lap," he said. "I was on a good one, but had a wild entry to the chicane. I hit the kerb on the left too much, and thought I could get away with a slide, but I lost the car on the kerb on the exit.

"I completely lifted, but got sideways and ended up in the wall."

He addeed: "I honestly prefer to complete my laps in the classic way, with four wheels attached. I'm certain it would have been quicker to complete the lap in the proper way too. But it's quite easy to go off here."

One handicap is that Senna can no longer use the right-rear tyre, as it was damaged in the crash, so he will have to start with a mis-matched set across the rear of the car.

It has yet to be discovered if the gearbox was damaged in the crash, but the entire right-rear corner and rear wing need replacing overnight.

Senna said: "It's superficial damage, so I'll pay the guys back with beer when they fix it."



  • Shorthanded Quakes stay positive
  • Senna proud of Monaco victory
  • Senna name wins again at Monaco
  • No comments: